LisaShea Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
to clip or not to clip #113339 11/02/05 12:48 AM
budgee Offline OP
OP Offline
iv read soo much about clipping.. pro's, con's whatever and i will say that i decided to clip budgees wings the second day i had him, and i did it myself, as per instructions i read online, i did it one feather at a time on each wing lettiing him fly each time to see the affects before i cut anymore, and i made sure his cuts were nice and clean, no burs or ragged edges...budgee is now depended on me for his security and safety and i assumed that responsability when i did it, also i spend time stroking his little wings afterwords, i think this solidifies his trust in me, he can still fly,i cut his primaries but left the last 2 feathers a little long...cut rounded at the tips, but a little long. i am hopeing that they will grow back..but by that time it wont matter.
i think wing clipping is the key to hand training.

Re: to clip or not to clip #113340 11/02/05 01:00 AM
S
Sylv Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
S
I totally disagree that clipping is the key to hand training.

Re: to clip or not to clip #113341 11/02/05 01:07 AM
budgee Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by Sylv:
I totally disagree that clipping is the key to hand training.
no explanation??

Re: to clip or not to clip #113342 11/02/05 01:13 AM
R
ReggieTheBudgie Offline
Friend
Friend
R
Budgee, I have trained three UNclipped budgies successfully and must say that I disagree with you. Does it take a little bit longer? Sure it does. But anybody who is going to have pets should have the patience required, in my humble opinion.

Re: to clip or not to clip #113343 11/02/05 01:18 AM
I Love Gus & Milo Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Well Gus was clipped from the store when we got him... and we have not really had a hard time at all. I broke the rules and took hi out on the first day and he was happy with hands since day one... so I think that it all depends on the keet. Like people there are fast learners, slow learners, and somr that rather just notlearn at all... And while I think that clipping wings is a huge debate I am a fan of the Half-clip my self. The feathers are long enough to get places that are close, btu not long enough to take them very far.

Anyway... taht was my 2 cents

Lauren & Gus
Re: to clip or not to clip #113344 11/02/05 01:28 AM
budgee Offline OP
OP Offline
well, in my very humble inexperienced opinion,
training any animal in a domestic environment requires control, and control equels safety and security.
do i think it can be done clip-less?, sure i do! do i think its practical for the average person who wants to OWN a keet? nooo.
my take is this: its a very small price to pay (wing clipping) as a trade off for trust and security while training your keet.your bird must be made to trust you,an EXPERIANCED trainer can accomplish this...the average bird owner will loose patience very quickly..and as a result end up with a cage bound bird ( what a tragic shame!)
so i say, ask yourself what direction are you willing to give advice?...clip, or not?...even a dog needs a leash and coller to learn control.

Re: to clip or not to clip #113345 11/02/05 01:38 AM
S
Sylv Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
S
I am really sorry budgie but I disagree with everything you just said.

Gus in my opinion your budgie was easy to tame because he was very very young when you got him,that is the key not wing clipping.

It is too late for me to go into it now but i will tomorrow.i must go to bed it is close to 2am here.Goodnight all.

Re: to clip or not to clip #113346 11/02/05 01:40 AM
budgee Offline OP
OP Offline
well lets al keep in mind that a wing clip is like a hair cut wink

Re: to clip or not to clip #113347 11/02/05 01:59 AM
R
ReggieTheBudgie Offline
Friend
Friend
R
Originally posted by budgee:
well lets al keep in mind that a wing clip is like a hair cut wink
Only in the sense that the wings grow back. That's where any similarity ends.
A haircut doesn't affect the person's mobility in any way, shape or form. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that wing-clipping temporarily handicaps a bird (there are many pro-clipping people here, so, just to clarify, I don't want to provoke anyone!) but I really don't think it's comparable to a haircut.

Re: to clip or not to clip #113348 11/02/05 02:07 AM
R
ReggieTheBudgie Offline
Friend
Friend
R
Since your bird is already clipped Budgee, this is a moot point we're discussing now. However, I'd like to ask you to try having a flighted budgie after you've fully trained him. It goes without saying that you'd have to budgie-proof the room first; most important issues being no large mirrors and no open doors/windows. See how you like it. You may decide to not to clip the wings anymore. No harm in trying, right?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
levitation photo challenge
by EVA21SA - 10/31/20 07:40 AM
free will
by EVA21SA - 10/31/20 07:33 AM
Separating Two Parakeets
by Min - 10/28/20 05:51 PM
Please help
by Faeed - 10/27/20 03:23 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site