Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: to clip or not to clip #113389 11/04/05 04:44 AM
horsewise Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
ricky is clipped but he can still fly really well. meaning the last time he got out he flew perfectly and landed on an armrest. if some bizarro wild animal came into my house while hes out hed be able to get up outta danger but he doesnt do laps around the room like unclipped birds. by the time his flight feathers grow back in hell probably be done handtraining and then i have no problem with him flying around.

i know why the caged bird sings..... cuz he has me!!
Re: to clip or not to clip #113390 11/05/05 03:02 AM
Blaze Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
It all depends on how short they were clipped.

~Blaze
Birds:
Kazu, Jazz, and Kodi
Cats:
Pebbles, Blaze, Curtis, Leo and Capizo.
Re: to clip or not to clip #113391 11/05/05 03:36 AM
L
Lone Wolf Offline
Friend
Friend
L
Okay, I just found out that Mrs. Wooldridge (my librarian and friend) just lost her budgie a day or two a go. Dixie flew out the door. It wouldn't have happened if she were clipped, so now I am even more resolved to clip. I now know at least four people that have lost their birds (in one way or another) because they werent clipped. Coincidence? Maybe, but it has made up my mind completely. And those of you who are against clipping, are you also against fencing dogs and keeping hamsters in a cage? I'm not trying to argue, just trying to find out where everyone stands.

Though all the world may hate us, we are named. Though shadow overtake us, we are known.

Fear is the absence of knowledge.
Re: to clip or not to clip #113392 11/05/05 03:42 AM
Blaze Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Yeah, but I have cats... I think since the door is suppose to be always shut... that I rather him fly into a wall than my cat kill him... I just don't want my cat to kill anything and I really don't want him to die, but he is very far from the door to the outside... most of the time I have him out is when everyone is asleep in the morning or around 6 when my dad is gone and mom is watching tv... and plus the cats are either outside or in my room with the door shut... and when i say out I mean I train him... if I got him out now he would freak and I probably wouldn't be able to get him back in his cage for like an hour or two... he is hard to calm once he is scared.

~Blaze
Birds:
Kazu, Jazz, and Kodi
Cats:
Re: to clip or not to clip #113393 11/05/05 03:50 AM
L
Lone Wolf Offline
Friend
Friend
L
It is ultimately your choice and I am not trying to convince you to see things my way, but hitting the wall could kill him too. However, if you have cats then you might want to keep him flighted. You will have to be VERY careful either way.

Though all the world may hate us, we are named. Though shadow overtake us, we are known.

Fear is the absence of knowledge.
Re: to clip or not to clip #113394 11/05/05 03:57 AM
Blaze Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
I know and with his little flapping into my hand every time somethings spooks him has to hurt cause I have claw marks on my hand and he is breathing very hard afterwards.

~Blaze
Birds:
Kazu, Jazz, and Kodi
Cats:
Re: to clip or not to clip #113395 11/05/05 05:33 AM
Jloc Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
I think the fact that some people have had birds escape is a poor excuse to clip a bird, personally. I just honestly can't see why people have birds that escape, maybe a small % is just plain bad luck, but the rest is just irresponsible, I've never been even close to having that happen nor has my mom and she puts her bird outside all the time, in the cage of course but that is much more likely to be an issue than a bird indoors. Like I said I would never consider the fact people lose birds when deciding on clipping or not, if you are careful it won't happen, the bird shouldn't loose it's feedom and joy because you don't want to be careful about open doors and windows. This isn't directed at anyone I just feel that way about the whole fact that people clip birds so they don't fly away, you shouldn't have that problem.

And yes it's all about choice, I would never clip, even after multiple people telling me that I have to, so that the bird will bond with me, yeah right. Another reason not to clip is if you ever decide to let your bird do what it wants to do and fly, it will likely not be able to fly nearly as well as it could have if it was never clipped. Sparky my moms bird flies ok now, but it took her quite a while to learn how to fly well, she was clipped from the store so my mom had no choice, but she use to bump walls and could only fly in short bursts. Now a couple years later she can fly pretty well but when I have Frodo and Sparky playing together you can hear a large difference in the sound they make when flying, SParky seems to try so much harder to fly where as Frodo practically glides and is very quite almost effortless, so I think it's much harder for clipped birds to learn how to fly and to build up the strength to fly. Plus they just love flying, I could never take that away from them, even with both our birds being flighted, they only spend a very short time actually doing so, they love to play on the gym or on people and will fly between the two and every once in a while they will boost out a couple laps around the room.

Anyways thats how I feel, it's all up to the owner but unless there is a really good reason I think clippping is no good, and there are very few good reasons. Good luck guys and let us know what you decide. Jloc

Frodo, Sam Wise, Shelby, and Scooter
Re: to clip or not to clip #113396 11/05/05 05:45 AM
hpetS Offline
Friend
Friend
I agree with you, Jloc, about birds not flying so often.

Zelda & Link most of the time climb to the highest spot outside their cage rather than fly. They'll only fly once or twice around the room & then they'll go back inside their cage & warble (the sound they make when they're happy).

Different strokes for different folks.

Re: to clip or not to clip #113397 11/05/05 05:50 AM
La Sierra Madre Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
i'll say.
sierra goes outside every two days (when i clean her cage) and i never open the cage door while she's outside. i've heard my fair share of stories of birds escaping through that teensy weensy crack through the door. and the myth about clipped birds not being able to fly is not really true, as the right balmy breeze can lift them up and help them soar.
i still stay with clipped. everyone has their own opinions smile

Re: to clip or not to clip #113398 11/05/05 09:55 AM
S
Sylv Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
S
LLW I would like to say in answer to your question about weather I am also against Fencing in a dog or caging a hamster.This is not the same as clipping a birds wings.The same would be to cut the dogs or hamsters legs off so that he couldn't escape.To fence a dog in is to still allow him to be a dog but to protect him from escaping and danger just like not clipping a birds wings but keeping doors closed and windows to protect him from escaping and danger.If a dog can jump high you put up a higher fence,if a bird can fly well you keep doors and windows closed.If everytime you opened your door your dog ran off and escaped would you cut off his feet to prevent this?No you would be much more carefull when you opened the door and would make sure before you opened the door that he wasnt around,correct?

When you have a bird with clipped wings he can still get into a lot of danger and problems and as you know 4 people whos birds have escaped I know many more whos clipped birds have died or been severely injured because they have been clipped.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
NEW YEARS WISHES
by EVA21SA - 10/15/20 07:51 PM
The "Beloved Disciple" - Was Not Mary Magdalene
by EVA21SA - 10/10/20 07:50 AM
nike air max2 light blanche
by yj80m3rx - 10/10/20 06:53 AM
nike air max2 light schwarz
by yj80m3rx - 10/10/20 06:42 AM
Frankie is sick again
by Tally - 09/28/20 09:13 PM
The Hand and The Knife
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 07:00 PM
if I'm awake early, at least I've got some pals
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 06:41 PM
What does this dream mean?
by EVA21SA - 09/17/20 07:32 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site