Print Thread
Need help with wildlife issues... #111440 06/28/05 12:36 AM
R
ReggieTheBudgie Offline OP
Friend
OP Offline
Friend
R
I know this forum is for budgies but I'm hoping that one of you fellow-birdlovers might be able to help me out.
I found this baby pigeon on my way home, on an urban street. It's not a newborn, probably at least a month or two months old. Can't fly, can't walk too well either - may have been stunned. So I called our local humane society, which told me that I had to call the city animal services...After being given the usual runaround, I finally got ahold of someone at the city animal services, who basically told me that if they came to pick him up, they would euthanize him right away! eek When I said "No way; what's the point of having animal services if you won't even give them a few days to recuperate?" the person suggested that I leave the bird back where I found it, and then check on it a few days later. This didn't seem to make much sense to me either because I know there are all sorts of predatory animals, not to mention dogs, etc around. Plus I looked around and didn't see a nest or a mother pigeon looking for her baby. Anyway, it was about 8 pm and I decided to bring the little one home. The thing is, he hasn't been drinking water or eating anything. If he survives tonight, I plan to take him to Wildlife services first thing in the morning (they'd be long closed by now).
Now for the questions:
- any suggestions as to how I can feed him?
- was it the right thing to bring him home? My thinking was that the risk of something bad happening to this bird outside was probably greater than the possibility that his mother would come looking for him. Does anyone have any other thoughts?
Thanks for any ideas/suggestions!

Re: Need help with wildlife issues... #111441 06/28/05 12:56 AM
R
Friend
OP Offline
Friend
R
Sorry; my post doesn't belong to budgie training forum (obviously) - didn't realize until AFTEr posting..
Still, if you've read it and have suggestions, they'll be much appreciated.

Re: Need help with wildlife issues... #111442 06/28/05 01:25 AM
A
Aerial Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
A
You'll need to feed it with an eye dropper - baby cereal should help in the meantime if you have any.

It's either way as to survival if you leave the bird or take it home. If it's out of the nest, chances are another animal will get it. Mother pidgeons aren't all that good of a mother so I doubt she'd have looked for it. Whatever happens to it, you did your best and obviously extended it's life. Let's know how it got on.

Re: Need help with wildlife issues... #111443 06/28/05 04:55 PM
R
Friend
OP Offline
Friend
R
Hi Nikkums,

Thank you for the advice - he looked much better this morning, in fact he was trying to stand on his feet (but couldn't). I took him to the humane society where they first told me to keep him until he was old enough to fly, which I would have done. But then an animal tech checked him out and determined that there was something wrong with one of the legs and that if that wasn't fixed, then he wouldn't be able to learn how to fly either. So basically they said they had to keep him and have their vet take a look. Granted, they don't have an avian vet but they said if the vet felt it was necessary to send him to the wildlife centre, a volunteer would transport him there. They gave me a number to call tomorrow to check on the patient's status. I hope he pulls through, he was such a cute baby! smile

Re: Need help with wildlife issues... #111444 06/28/05 05:31 PM
marie Offline
Regular
Regular
Good for you, for taking care of him! Let us know how it works out!

Re: Need help with wildlife issues... #111445 06/29/05 12:56 AM
A
Aerial Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
A
Nora, I'm pleased to hear he's doing better but not at all surprised he could be injured. Unfortunately many people aren't as kind hearted as you and would have just left it so, well done!

As I've said before Avian vets and Vets are one and the same in Australia but at least he's seeing one.

I hope you get some good news about his progress.

Re: Need help with wildlife issues... #111446 06/30/05 12:50 PM
R
Friend
OP Offline
Friend
R
Good news: I called the humane society yesterday with the reference number they gave me; the receptionist looked him up on their computer and told me that he's been transferred to a wildlife rehab centre! I can't tell you how happy and relieved I was to hear that they didn't have to put him down! It's funny though, the word rehab centre made me visualize these physiotherapists making the little guy exercise his leg regularly laugh . Anyway, just wanted to share the good news! smile

Re: Need help with wildlife issues... #111447 07/01/05 05:00 AM
A
Aerial Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
A
That's great news Nora. I know what you mean about the rehab centre though lol, sure does sound strange if you aren't used to it.

I bet you feel as though you've won the lottery now that you've been able to help it out. Sure makes you feel good though doesn't it smile

Re: Need help with wildlife issues... #111448 07/01/05 08:51 AM
L
LPG Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
L
Nora that's exactly how I felt when I rescued an animal crossing the road once. I felt incredibly happy knowing that I'd help save this little animal.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Buy Artvigil 150mg online
by rxonlinesecure - 05/20/22 08:53 AM
Statue of Liberty Co-opted by Christians
by dfdchgf - 05/18/22 12:04 PM
Architecture photography challeng
by latinkaone - 05/16/22 09:30 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site