LisaShea Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Training A Pair #110629 01/21/05 06:27 AM
Tiana Offline OP
OP Offline
I recieved my parakeets about a month ago and have been trying to finger train them from the beginning. They don't perch yet, but if I have seed in my hand they immediately hop on my hand and eat. They've been doing that since the first day. smile Anyway, I've read in some places that it's a lot easier to train 2 or more keets if they are separated, while other sites say the opposite. Which is best?

Also, when I have seed in my hand and they're both sitting in it and eating, as soon as they've finished all the seeds the female (i think), starts biting my hand. At first she'd just nibble at my fingers, but gradually over the last few days she's started biting harder and almost breaking the skin. She's obviously not afraid of me since she's standing on my hand while doing it. Is it perhaps because she wants more food? confused I haven't had this problem with the other keet.

Any advice would be much appreciated. smile

Re: Training A Pair #110630 01/21/05 12:36 PM
elleandbella Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
I've read that it's easier to train keets when separated so that they will focus on you and not the other keet...

Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic.
Re: Training A Pair #110631 01/21/05 07:21 PM
Zoe and Kiwi Offline
Friend
Friend
I have two keets as well, and it would definatly be easier to train them if they were seperate. However, once they have been together for that long I would not seperate them.

The best way I think is to t0 give them individual training everyday. In a different room so that they can not see or hear the other keet.

My too actually are not too bad, they love to play outside the cage and ZOe is starting to fly. I just get really jealous when I see how my sisters keets acts if I had jjust waited longer to get the second one.

~~Zoe~~ and ~~Kiwi~~
Re: Training A Pair #110632 01/24/05 02:20 AM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Right if you had just brought them home I might keep them apart - but once they are together, it is pretty cruel to drag them apart and be alone.

Make sure you work on the training and building trust so the keets are with you because they want to be with you - that is an important part in them treating you nicely smile Also make sure they have a lot of things to gnaw on, keets need to gnaw.

Lisa Shea, Owner
Re: Training A Pair #110633 01/24/05 05:54 AM
Tiana Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks everyone for the advice. smile

Re: Training A Pair #110634 01/24/05 06:18 AM
Tiana Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by Lisa Shea:
Right if you had just brought them home I might keep them apart - but once they are together, it is pretty cruel to drag them apart and be alone.
Yeah, they've been together ever since we got them so I was a little apprehensive about separating them. I put my hand in the cage today to see if they'd perch and Joon (the female who's the bolder one) just hopped on and started wandering all over my hand nibbling on it. lol Is that good or bad? lol The first day I was able to get them both to perch on my finger, but since then for some reason they've been afraid of my hand if there was no food in it. confused So, just one more question: If the shyer one sees the bolder bird becoming more tame, he'll eventually learn too, right?

Thanks again smile

Re: Training A Pair #110635 01/24/05 04:50 PM
Zoe and Kiwi Offline
Friend
Friend
I dont know if he will learn to be tame, but he will follow the bolder one around.

~~Zoe~~ and ~~Kiwi~~
Re: Training A Pair #110636 01/26/05 05:42 AM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Remember, "tame" is about trust. It's not about brainwashing smile So the entire point of doing these things is to build a personal relationship of trust between you and each intelligent little creature. The more time you spend with each bird, the more each bird will learn to trust you as an individual person.

It shouldn't be about food or tricks - it should be that they truly learn to trust you as a person and want to be with you.

Lisa Shea, Owner

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
FREE! Science Fiction Sweet Romance
by AlyssakPatterson - 06/15/21 11:25 AM
Dreaming of Losing a Pet
by Jane Pierce - 06/01/21 05:08 AM
nike kyrie 5 en soldes
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:53 AM
nike pg 5 white sale
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:49 AM
adidas stan smith dames lichtblauw
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:47 AM
Dieser Ring aus Sterlingsilber eignet
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:45 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site