Getting him out of the cage #110547 11/18/04 04:37 AM
T
Tori_aka_jaybird1100 Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
T
Hey! It's me again!
I think I have a problem - my bird's cage-sourness is getting worse! I spend time with him every afternoon, and I'm never mean to him, or force him to do anything. He always sings and chirps and does the wierd little "I love you" beak thing with his toys and my fingers. He used to be reluctant to get out of the cage, and tonight he wouldn't even come out for millet! Am I doing something wrong?

Re: Getting him out of the cage #110548 11/18/04 05:45 AM
Budgie Jumper Offline
Regular
Regular
I would say that your not! I know that sometimes there are nights where i like to just hangout in my room...im sure that keets feel the same about this! Ive noticed with mine at least that during night time they tend to drift back to the cage cuz they are getting ready for sleepy time.

Re: Getting him out of the cage #110549 11/19/04 05:19 PM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Right exactly Exdit. Parakeets have a very definite day-night cycle. They wake up at the first glimmerings of dawn, and then they tuck down to sleep when it gets dark out. Us humans have learned to alter our normal cycle with lights, but in the bird world of the meadow, there are no electric lights. So they need to be awake when the sun is up and hiding in safety when it's dark.

So instead of trying to do things with him after dark, find ways to spend time with him in the mornings and afternoons. Remember that keets take naps too, so they might be reluctant to leave the cage when they are sleepy. You need to watch for when your keet is most awake and alert, and plan your play time for then smile

Lisa Shea, Owner
Re: Getting him out of the cage #110550 11/21/04 09:09 PM
T
Tori_aka_jaybird1100 Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
T
hmmm....that may complicate things. Right now it's getting dark at about 5:30. And I usually get home around 4:45. I guess that's enough time. Alright, I'll try that, but I usually only take him out when it's light out. It's 2:11 now, and he's not coming out! Guess he just has days when he doesn't feel like it...

Re: Getting him out of the cage #110551 11/23/04 12:26 AM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Hmmmm well yes parakeets definitely have their moods but they should be more willing to come out during the daytime when it's their playtime, vs nighttime when it's sleepytime.

Try making a play area somewhere outside the cage, that has toys and foods and other fun things. That way he looks forward to coming out to play smile

Lisa Shea, Owner
Re: Getting him out of the cage #110552 11/24/04 08:31 PM
L
LynCarJen Offline
L
Hi. I have never written on a forum before but I have to add to this conversation. We got our parakeet 3 months ago when he was 10 weeks old. We have followed your training method and he is finger trained and will come out after many attempts. The problem is that he does not enjoy it and we can tell he is counting the seconds until he can get back in his cage. He is happy and playful in his cage (loves his bell) but just kind of sits and puts up with being out. I have bought him two playgyms, rigged them with millet and other treats. He wants nothing to do with water (forget a bath!). I guess my question is when will he look forward to being part of our family and moving about outside the cage? We do intend to get him a friend once he is totally tame but right now it is clear we are just tolerated. Any suggestions? Thanks!!!!

Lynne
Re: Getting him out of the cage #110553 11/24/04 08:56 PM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Definitely the bird's wanting to be with you is pretty much directly proportional to the relationship you have built up with him, just like with most other pets. So it is something that builds up over time, and of course some pets are more shy than others so that factors into it. But I'm sure after a few more months of daily playing that your keet will get more and more 'family oriented' and want to be out with you guys (i.e. his flock) vs alone in his cage. Parakeets are VERY flock oriented and don't like to be alone!

It is sometimes tricky to help a bird get over the fear of the bathtub, but really, they are naturally drawn to water in general and love to be clean. So keep trying daily with the water. Have the water lukewarm (not cold, not hot) so it's comfy on the skin, and wiggle your fingers in it to make it splash a little. They love the sound of running water. I have a page on the site about helping to train your bird to get into the bathtub, it just takes putting the keet on the tub each day until he gets the idea smile

Try putting one of the gyms right next to the cage and things right on top of the cage. That way he gets used to the idea of playing "on" the cage - just on the other side of it smile

Lisa Shea, Owner
Re: Getting him out of the cage #110554 12/03/04 05:19 PM
Pebbles_lil_cutie Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Thats a good idea Lisa! You might also want to give him crunched up crackers they like that alot for a treat for coming out of the cage (at least my Pebbles likes it!)

"Hope is a thing with feathers that perches in the soul"

-Emily Dickinson
Re: Getting him out of the cage #110555 12/16/04 04:32 PM
S
slirpy18 Offline
S
I have 4 parakeets. 2 pretty well trained and working with the other 2. They all love cherrios on thier crab apple tree that I made for them using clean branches from a crab apple tree. I put a big mirror behind it and hung some toys and they love it! Sometimes I have to chase them out of the cage, but once they come out they play.

Re: Getting him out of the cage #110556 12/16/04 05:11 PM
getlow316 Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
You should be able to just open the cage and then they would come out other then chasing them out. That way they will come out when they are ready. It sounds like you have a pretty nice cage setup! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
GARDEN FLOWERS
by ronyb - 02/24/21 12:51 PM
Yoga
by chandkumar3g - 02/04/21 02:58 PM
A Scanner Darkly!!
by EVA21SA - 02/01/21 09:45 AM
Policing
by EVA21SA - 01/31/21 08:28 AM
How many bullets?
by EVA21SA - 01/31/21 08:17 AM
Across the River is FREE
by EVA21SA - 01/29/21 09:04 AM
War and Fashion
by EVA21SA - 01/29/21 08:54 AM
Origami flower bouquets
by EVA21SA - 01/28/21 09:05 AM
NBA 2K21 unskippable ads"will probably be repaired
by Dingbest - 01/26/21 01:30 AM
So the jist of this ; Get CCB and recharge chaotic
by Dingbest - 01/26/21 01:29 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site