Next Thread
Print Thread
Lessons I've learnt from my keets #104547 05/27/06 12:14 AM
L
Love_Bird_60660 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hello everyone!

I'm new to the boards, and around May 16-18, my brother-in-law got me two very adorable keets! One is a mix of blue/white, and the other is kiwi colored mixed with yellow named Kiwi, and it's a male. The blue one, Skyler's gender is undefined.

Anyway, I came home from school the next day and could not wait to play with them. I mean, feed them and let them sit on my finger, and I'd gently stroke the top of their delicate feathery heads. But things didn't go out as I planned. I had absolutely no knowledge of keets. And I never had pets before. So I barged my hand in and they became frantic, flying around. Soon I found out that they were scared of me. Dead scared, that they were shivering and getting skiddish even when I walked by their cage!
Then I got mad! Really mad, thinking that my keets were obviously snobby and ignorant little birds. Then I went online and stumbled across this site and I learnt alot. I mean, whoever thought of 'building trust' with a bird could be so...serious? It's like I was making up to a mad spouse!
So anyway, I took care of them, talked to them, sang to them, hummed to them (their favorite, it makes them sleepy in night time) fed them, changed their water, their food and even put in a small bathtub that I doubt they use besides for water. But they remained skiddish. And I thought it'd take about 2 months before I could even put them on a perch!
But I only had two perches. And they remained in the cage b/c they'd bang around if I tried to take them out. I didn't even have any millet or anything.
Then today, things have changed. It's only been about their 10-12th day in my home. And today I put my hand in this morning. Skyler put one foot on my finger, I felt like hopping up and down but I stayed patient, like nothing even happened. That's a trick with parakeets, make them feel nothing happened, except that when they put one of their feet on your finger, they feel the comfort! They feel the cushion and the warmth and the feel and the perfect grip of the finger. Then they want to put their whole body up on the finger, like a perch.
So this evening, Skyler finally put herself, fully, over my finger, with both feet. People told me it's hard to train two parakeets at once, but the amount of dedication really paid off, my keets live in the same cage, and people told me it'd be impossible to finger train them because they've passed the age. But they were all wrong! Skyler did it! I did it! And so can you! And soon Kiwi would want do it too!

So don't back off from your keet if you have another keet living in the same cage! Don't back off if he/she passes the age! It is possile, so never give up, b/c your keet certainly will not! wink

Re: Lessons I've learnt from my keets #104548 05/27/06 02:54 AM
icequeen50 Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
That is a most rewarding story and I so enjoyed it very much. It was worth the wait and you should always remember something worth waiting for can take alot of time. Great job, and congrads to you and your feathered friends.

Re: Lessons I've learnt from my keets #104549 05/27/06 07:49 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Thank you, and I wish you the best of luck with your own feathered friends! smile

Re: Lessons I've learnt from my keets #104550 05/27/06 07:52 PM
pretty bird Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Tin Star Soulmate
Glad to hear they warmed up to you and that you are getting them trained congrats:)

My name is Connie
Re: Lessons I've learnt from my keets #104551 05/27/06 09:31 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Thanks. But it's so weird. Today, Skyler is feeling skittish again. In the night time, when Kiwi is sleeping, she likes to come on my finger. But in the afternoon, when both are awake. She doesn't want to come to me! But, then again, she just came on my finger yesterday, just a little bit more time, I suppose! smile

Re: Lessons I've learnt from my keets #104552 05/28/06 12:47 AM
L
OP Offline
L
hehe it's so funny. I cant decide what to name Kiwi, I mean, his name is Kiwi but too many people here named their green/yellow bird kiwi. So i decided on a new name: Phoenix! Like the one from harry potter, lol, it means 'rising bird' and he loves to fly so there!

Anyway, today, for like half an hour this evening Skyler was sitting on my finger. And when I moved her to another perch! She WOULD NOT GET OFF! no matter how hard i tried. But the problem was my hand was getting tired, and if I suddenly collapsed my hand that might break the trust i've worked so hard on building. So anyway, I had to force her to get off. She actually fell asleep, with her eyes closed and was all fluffed up like a big furball on my finger by her mate, Phoenix!

Then I moved around my finger a bit and she shook and woke up, and kind of re-clung to my fingers, then I pushed her against the plastic perch and she finally got off my finger, chirping angrily, b/c im sure she enjoyed my finger's softness. now she becomes all silent and excited when i walk by the cage, thinking id put my finger in so she could relax her feet. SO ******* ADORABLE!

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site