Budgie Photos
My violet female budgie
my cage
two blues
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Topic Options
#394466 - 01/27/10 03:37 PM Separating Bonded Parakeets?
ParakeetGirl Offline

I have two parakeets that I think are male and female that have bonded with each other (though it could be 2 females as I am not sure and can't get good pictures of them to ask). Well they have started not getting along as much as they used to and have started pecking at eachother (I have had them for a year or so). Also they tend to not like cuddle time as much as they used to. So I was wondering if an already bonded pair of parakeets can be safely separated so that they bond with their owner. I already have another cage that is slightly bigger (I think it is meant for Cockatiels) that I got with the birds though when I got them they were being kept together. Would like expert advise ASAP but will accept any help and tips. Thanks!
The Lord God made them all.

Add Separating Bonded Parakeets? to Twitter Add Separating Bonded Parakeets? to Facebook Add Separating Bonded Parakeets? to MySpace Add Separating Bonded Parakeets? to Del.icio.us Digg Separating Bonded Parakeets? Add Separating Bonded Parakeets? to Yahoo My Web Add Separating Bonded Parakeets? to Google Bookmarks Add Separating Bonded Parakeets? to Stumbleupon Add Separating Bonded Parakeets? to Reddit
#394478 - 01/27/10 05:21 PM Re: Separating Bonded Parakeets? [Re: ParakeetGirl]
tweetymom Offline
Best Friend

Loc: Austin, Texas
First off measure the width between the cage wires. The width for Parakeets should be 1/2 inch. Any more, and they can get their heads through, and could be fatal trying to get the rest of their body through!

Your budgies could be going through their "puberty" stage. Or they could be molting. Both of which can cause them to be grumpy and generally in a bad mood!

Having said that, I will have to defer to some other more experienced members on here. Good luck on this and keep us posted!

Also, welcome to the forum! I have learned a lot on here and hope you do too.

RIP precious Merlin
7/11/1990-11/17/2009
RIP Tweetylove
5/13/2010
Rest with Merlin

Add Re: Separating Bonded Parakeets? to Twitter Add Re: Separating Bonded Parakeets? to Facebook Add Re: Separating Bonded Parakeets? to MySpace Add Re: Separating Bonded Parakeets? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Separating Bonded Parakeets? Add Re: Separating Bonded Parakeets? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Separating Bonded Parakeets? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Separating Bonded Parakeets? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Separating Bonded Parakeets? to Reddit
#394479 - 01/27/10 05:24 PM Re: Separating Bonded Parakeets? [Re: ParakeetGirl]
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate

Loc: NE Oklahoma
Welcome to the forum,

The easy answer is yes you can separate them. There are some problems though. If you cannot house them where they cannot see or hear each other they will want to be together (yes, even if they don't get along).

If you separate them you would have an easier time of taming them, one at a time.

The cage that you think is for Cockatiels, please check the bar spacing, because for a parakeet it needs to be 1/2" bar spacing. Otherwise they can get caught between the bars trying to get out, or just sticking their head thru the bars.

Add Re: Separating Bonded Parakeets? to Twitter Add Re: Separating Bonded Parakeets? to Facebook Add Re: Separating Bonded Parakeets? to MySpace Add Re: Separating Bonded Parakeets? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Separating Bonded Parakeets? Add Re: Separating Bonded Parakeets? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Separating Bonded Parakeets? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Separating Bonded Parakeets? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Separating Bonded Parakeets? to Reddit
#394488 - 01/27/10 05:54 PM Re: Separating Bonded Parakeets? [Re: BLR]
ParakeetGirl Offline

So if I do separate them they will be fine as long as they are in different rooms? They won't die of loneliness? That is my biggest fear since I have read that if one parakeet of a bonded pair dies the other will die of heartbreak.

#394492 - 01/27/10 06:02 PM Re: Separating Bonded Parakeets? [Re: ParakeetGirl]
tweetymom Offline
Best Friend

Loc: Austin, Texas
They are a flock. They will always want to be with their flock.

Lisa Shea has some very good info on training your birds. Even though you've had them for a year, you can start training them. The advise given on here mostly, is to take one bird to another room, of course, after you have "bird proofed" the room and work on training like that. That way, you don't have to keep them separated all the time. Every day, take one bird, for a given amount of time, and then the other bird.

RIP precious Merlin
7/11/1990-11/17/2009
RIP Tweetylove
5/13/2010
Rest with Merlin

#394500 - 01/27/10 06:17 PM Re: Separating Bonded Parakeets? [Re: tweetymom]
Lisa Shea Offline

Gold Star Soulmate

Loc: US
Right, Dinah is exactly right. You can have them together for most of the time so they have their "flock time" and still train them separately so they have individual one on one time with you. That works very well.

Also everyone is right that you need to make very sure that your cage is safe for keets. Keet cages have bars and clips and everything that are safe for a keet's body. If you use a "large bird cage" it might not have those same safety features.

Keets go through many temperamental changes. They start out cute and friendly. Then they become teenagers and get rowdy and grumpy. Then they become adults and settle down. Plus in addition they get grumpy when new feathers are coming in because it's all itchy. So you need to be patient with parakeets' moods. They are very smart little creatures and have wildly active brains. They are learning and changing all the time. It's part of what makes them such amazing companions.

My keets definitely go through periods where they're lovey with each other - and then periods where they're very grumpy and snippy with each other. If it starts to get *too* snippy (like they're actually going to hurt each other) I will separate them cage-wise but leave them side by side. That way they can still talk to each other, but they can't nip each other's toes. I've had keets actually take off a claw on the other keet because one was on the cage roof with their toes poking into the cage, and another keet jumped onto the "ceiling" from within and they started harassing each other. So sometimes their nippiness can get extreme. It's an important thing to keep an eye on.

#395231 - 02/08/10 01:48 PM Re: Separating Bonded Parakeets? [Re: Lisa Shea]
ParakeetGirl Offline

K, thanks for all of the tips. Here is my plan let me know if it sounds good.
My parakeets are kept upstairs in the room that I share with my three sisters. They are up there alone for most of the day while we are downstairs doing school (we are home schooled). So my idea is to put one of the birds in their carry cage and then take it down to our school room where it can spend time with us and get some one on one time with us and probably some training time as well. Then after some time the other bird will get her time with us. Then after school they will switch off again so that the first one can have a training only session and then after that they will switch off one last time so the second bird can have some training time.
I hope that wasn't to confusing and you can get the idea of what my plan is. I am still open to any ideas though! Thanks again for the tips! Oh, and by the way I found that I have two girls. Their names are Celebaras and Rindlemoon (we thought they were both boys at one time so even though we know the truth now the boy names stuck).

#395343 - 02/10/10 03:53 PM Re: Separating Bonded Parakeets? [Re: ParakeetGirl]
ParakeetGirl Offline

I am trying this for the first time today! My sisters have one of the birds down in the school room and I am up in my room doing some school stuff on my computer. Both birds have responded very well to the separation and we have music playing in both rooms to help them out a bit more. We shall see how this goes!

#395356 - 02/10/10 07:37 PM Re: Separating Bonded Parakeets? [Re: ParakeetGirl]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

Loc: Massachusetts
if it works..cudos..good luck..good thinking..

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
budgie bonding again
by keerthi
Yesterday at 10:03 PM
Brand new Balance True Balance Shoes and boots - D
by kenneth
Yesterday at 05:21 PM
Fresh Balance Outlet: Where Fantastic Shoes and Be
by kenneth
Yesterday at 05:18 PM
ASICS Tennis Shoes Review - Wonderful and Durable
by kenneth
Yesterday at 05:15 PM
Holen Sie sich Nike-Schuhe f?r erh? hte k? rperlic
by kenneth
Yesterday at 05:12 PM
Dolomite Air Flight Falcon Overview - Top Chaussur
by kenneth
Yesterday at 05:10 PM
Air max 90 Sweep Thru Shoes Intended for Basketbal
by kenneth
Yesterday at 05:03 PM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 04:58 PM
New Sci-Fi Novel
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 07:40 AM
Reddit
by Lisa Shea
07/26/14 12:10 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site