my cage
two blues
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Topic Options
#284067 - 04/25/08 08:53 AM Parakeet beak overgrown
rgallatin Offline

I have a 7 year old parakeet whose beak has suddenly (over the past few weeks) grown so long it looks deformed. He has cuttlebone and other chewys available. He still seems to be eating ok. Is there anything I can do other than taking him to a vet? I have located a vet about 30 minutes away, but hesitate to catch him by hand and transport him that far in the car.

Edited by rgallatin (04/25/08 11:47 AM)

Add Parakeet beak overgrown to Twitter Add Parakeet beak overgrown to Facebook Add Parakeet beak overgrown to MySpace Add Parakeet beak overgrown to Del.icio.us Digg Parakeet beak overgrown Add Parakeet beak overgrown to Yahoo My Web Add Parakeet beak overgrown to Google Bookmarks Add Parakeet beak overgrown to Stumbleupon Add Parakeet beak overgrown to Reddit
#284085 - 04/25/08 11:52 AM Re: Parakeet beak overgrown [Re: rgallatin]
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate

Loc: NE Oklahoma
It is my understanding that on occasion the keets beaks need to be trimed. I would say this is a vet issue - at least to find out what the situation is. If it needs to be trimmed I am sure the vet will show you what needs to be done. It would be well worth a vet visit in any case.

Do you have a small carrier of some kind to put him in. Even a small cardboard box (shoe box) would work for the trip to the vet.

Add Re: Parakeet beak overgrown to Twitter Add Re: Parakeet beak overgrown to Facebook Add Re: Parakeet beak overgrown to MySpace Add Re: Parakeet beak overgrown to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Parakeet beak overgrown Add Re: Parakeet beak overgrown to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Parakeet beak overgrown to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Parakeet beak overgrown to Stumbleupon Add Re: Parakeet beak overgrown to Reddit
#284086 - 04/25/08 12:03 PM Re: Parakeet beak overgrown [Re: BLR]
Four Keets Offline
Best Friend

Loc: Orange County, CA
You will definitely want to get it trimmed. If you don't get it done, and it keeps growing, it risks breaking and causing major damage... the second problem is that it can grow into his body amd make it so he can't eat (it looks like there are 3). There are a few things my vet has told me that cause a parakeet to overgrow a beak when they are older. One can be a vitamin deficiency and the other can be caused by the kidneys. I had a parakeet that had a chronically overgrown beak when he was older and we merely would take him in to get it trimmed. We had a bird shop near us that would take care of it, but in this case, I would say that you should have the vet show you how.

Here is a picture of Bill with his overgrown beak:
Bill - 4/16/08
Papeete - 4/21/08

Add Re: Parakeet beak overgrown to Twitter Add Re: Parakeet beak overgrown to Facebook Add Re: Parakeet beak overgrown to MySpace Add Re: Parakeet beak overgrown to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Parakeet beak overgrown Add Re: Parakeet beak overgrown to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Parakeet beak overgrown to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Parakeet beak overgrown to Stumbleupon Add Re: Parakeet beak overgrown to Reddit
#284097 - 04/25/08 12:24 PM Re: Parakeet beak overgrown [Re: BLR]
rgallatin Offline

I have had several parakeets over 20 years time and none have ever had a beak problem until now. I plan to put him in a very small cage and cover it. This bird will get on my finger only when necessary (if for example, he flies into another room and is frightened) and has never been handled otherwise. I know he won't die of fright from being cornered and caught but I still hesitate to do this. On the other hand, I can't fix it so I guess the trip is necessary. Thank you for your help!

#284099 - 04/25/08 12:34 PM Re: Parakeet beak overgrown [Re: Four Keets]
rgallatin Offline

My bird's beak is longer and thinner than Bill's which makes me wonder if it was growing too long for longer than I realized. Even now the long curved lower part is rarely visible as it is hidden in his feathers. I have never taken any of my birds (4) to a vet, but I must defend that with the fact that they have all always been perfectly healthy. Now that I need to do so, I find that I wish I had tamed them better. My main concern is for the bird, but it would seem that handling him from big cage (with 3 others), to carrying cage, to car, even on a 30 minute trip in the car, is essential. Thank you for your help and pictures.

#284112 - 04/25/08 01:06 PM Re: Parakeet beak overgrown [Re: rgallatin]
Mandy's mom Offline
Best Friend

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: rgallatin
My bird's beak is longer and thinner than Bill's which makes me wonder if it was growing too long for longer than I realized. Even now the long curved lower part is rarely visible as it is hidden in his feathers. I have never taken any of my birds (4) to a vet, but I must defend that with the fact that they have all always been perfectly healthy. Now that I need to do so, I find that I wish I had tamed them better. My main concern is for the bird, but it would seem that handling him from big cage (with 3 others), to carrying cage, to car, even on a 30 minute trip in the car, is essential. Thank you for your help and pictures.
sometimes birds are sick and they don't show or is hard to tell it in case you didn't know that.

#284144 - 04/25/08 02:28 PM Re: Parakeet beak overgrown [Re: rgallatin]
rgallatin Offline

This problem has taught me some valuable lessons about my birds. One of these is that chains like PetsMart in my area have vets ready to trim parakeet beaks at any time. Many thanks to everyone who responded.

rgallatin

#284156 - 04/25/08 03:27 PM Re: Parakeet beak overgrown [Re: rgallatin]
Four Keets Offline
Best Friend

Loc: Orange County, CA
That's fantastic and they should do it for a minimal charge. Our store charges $5 for the beak trim.
Bill - 4/16/08
Papeete - 4/21/08

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
To Be Amazing Footwear Products
by BettySteen
Yesterday at 06:49 PM
Mystery Story A Day
by Lisa Shea
10/23/14 09:40 PM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
10/23/14 04:54 PM
hand-watercolored origami lotus flowers
by Lisa Shea
10/23/14 03:36 PM
What kind of toys for smart parakeet?
by Kymber
10/23/14 12:05 PM
Playing with cover ideas for my new series - an Ar
by Lisa Shea
10/21/14 05:16 PM
Broodie girl?
by Annlewis
10/21/14 04:59 PM
FREE Parakeet Ebook
by Greenboy
10/20/14 05:16 AM
Nike Air Max 90 EM moins cher
by olivia112
10/17/14 11:34 PM
Nike Roshe Run Yeezy 2 online bestellen
by olivia112
10/17/14 11:30 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site